Internal validity is determining the accuracy of the findings in qualitative research from the viewpoints of the researcher, participants or reader (Creswell, 2013). There are many validity strategies like: Triangulation of different data sources, member checking, rich thick description of the findings, clarifying any bias, presenting negative or discrepant information, prolong the time in the field, peer debriefing, external auditor to review the project, etc.
Triangulation of different data sources for observational work is an idea where I would examine evidence from multiple sources of data to justify the themes that I create through coding. Converging themes from multiple sources of data and/or perspectives from participants would add to the validity of the study. Thus, in order to increase the validity of the thematic codes would be to present the thematic codes from analysis of multiple sources like:
- Interviews from N number of participants (until data saturation is reached)
- Observations of the participants
- Repeated observations will be taken, during multiple different types of shifts, with or without the same participants and during different random days of the week over a one-month period.
- Observational Goals: Tracking what information is used (type and time stamps, instrumentations, etc.)
- Observational Goals 2: Through videotaping, I hope to track conversations between participants sharing the same shift. Field notes would contain: “Why the conversation was initiated?”, “What was discussed?”, “Were there decisions made regarding the area of study”, “What is the bodily-based behavior portrayed by the specialists in the discussion?”, and “What was the outcome of that discussion?”
- Document Analysis
The aforementioned, in particular, will help ensure internal validity in quiet a few studies.
- Creswell, John W. (2013). Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches, 4th Edition. [VitalSource Bookshelf Online]. Retrieved from https://bookshelf.vitalsource.com/#/books/9781483321479/